This infused honey & lemon jar is the perfect balance of sweet and tangy. It is a healthy, cleansing and healing tea and what’s even better is that you can adjust the flavour and style to suit your preferences. It is great as a hot or cold drink and would make a delicious cocktail too (virgin or not!).
Health benefits of honey & lemon
Honey & lemon are both known for their health benefits including: providing antioxidants to help detox the body, soothing sore throats and improving your digestive gut health. Here is one source of information I found on the Healthline regarding the benefits of honey & lemon.
This drink is basically my childhood, any time we visited Hong Kong as a family, this would be the first drink I’d request – as nowhere makes it quite like the restaurants in Hong Kong. Growing up I tried so many different recipes of making this delicious drink, but I could never quite get the right balance of flavours. It was always too sour or had a bitter aftertaste from the lemon peel.
The secret recipe
Now I have figured out the secret and would like to share with you all this ridiculously easy recipe. The best part? It can last in your fridge for a month or two!
This recipe is a natural cold or flu remedy that can be ready waiting for your in the fridge! It is great for when you are unwell, without the energy to prepare anything difficult. I hope you enjoy!
Infused honey & lemon tea
- Airtight Jar / Mason Jar ~ 1 Litre capacity
- ~ 3 Lemons
- ~ 500g Runny Honey
- Salt (optional to help clean the lemons)
- Clean lemons in cold salt water & dry completely.
- Clean jar thoroughly & dry completely.
- Slice lemons into half slices and add to jar until jar is full. Stack like brickwork to allow honey to fall through easily.
- Slowly pour the runny honey into the jar, allowing all of the honey to fall to the bottom and keep topping it up until the jar is full.
- Once the jar is full, gently tap the bottom onto your worksurface to allow any airbubbles to float to the top. Top up with more honey if there is space made.
- Seal the jar and place in fridge.
- After 1 day, turn the jar upside down. Repeat this daily for 5 days. This is to help the honey and lemon juice to infuse together and become one liquid.
- After around 5 days, the liquid in the jar should be a lot thinner than before. The lemons have been marinading in the honey and the bitterness from the skin should be gone.
There are several ways to prepare your drink:
- Using 2-3 tablespoons of the mixture (measurements can be adjusted to your preference):
- Option 1 – Add your desired amount of honey lemon mixture to a mug, top it up with hot or cold water and mix.
- Option 2 – Add a tea bag and your mixture, top it up with hot water. For cold, you may brew the teabag first then add the mixture with cold water and ice.
- Option 3 – Add smashed ginger and garlic to your mixture with hot water. This is a great cold and flu remedy.
- Option 4 – Add soda water / lemonade to your mixture for a refreshing drink.
- Option 5 – Mix it up in a cocktail with your favourite spirit!
Here are *links to the products I used:
*Links are affiliate links. Please purchase through my links to help support my blog!
Thank you for reading and I hope you enjoy the recipe. Click here to view other recipes on my blog.
Do leave a comment below with your thoughts if you give it a try!
Until next time,